Cairns – diving capital and tropical paradise
The city of Cairns with its 160,000 inhabitants in the Queensland region is one of the most popular travel destinations on the entire continent after Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne. There is a tropical warm monsoon climate with a short dry season. The ideal travel time is winter from June to October. The capital of the Far North region offers its visitors almost unlimited leisure opportunities.In the immediate vicinity of Cairns there are numerous delightful stretches of coast that are ideal for diving, surfing and swimming. The Great Barrier Reef is also not far away. The outer reef can be reached in about three quarters of an hour.
From Cairns to Kuranda on the Kuranda Scenic Railway
The train travels through Stratford, Freshwater and Redlynch to Kuranda and offers spectacular views along the way. On the way there is a short stop with a view of the Barron Falls. In Kuranda, the short walk into town to the sights there is worthwhile.
Activities and attractions in Cairns
In the sixties of the last century, the city’s tourist development began, so today there are numerous options available to travelers.
- Enjoy the view of the city and the surrounding area while strolling in the botanical garden
- Recall the day on an evening stroll along the Esplanade beach promenade
- Enjoy the tropical climate in the 4,000 square meter swimming lagoon on the promenade, which is fed with sea water
Museums culture and art
- Cairns Museum: the Cairns Museum explains the historical development of the city and region
- Cairns Regional Gallery: This gallery exhibits contemporary, classical and modern Aboriginal art
- Bolands Center and St. Monicas College are the two most important historic buildings in the city
Shopping and markets
Cairns is the commercial center of the region. Large shopping centers and a pretty pedestrian zone offer many shopping opportunities.
- The Cairns Shopping Center is the largest shopping center in the city. The city’s residents and visitors will find everything they need on two floors.
- Lake Street Mall is in the pedestrian zone. There you will find nice shops and an inexpensive food market.
There is also:
- Pier Shopping Center
- Westcourt Shopping Center
- Stockville Shopping Center in Earlville
- Smithfield Shopping Center
Markets also offer interesting shopping opportunities:
- Rusty’s Market
- Cairns City Market
- Night market
To eat and drink:
Freshly caught seafood is typical of Cairns’ cuisine. What is special is the local combination of restaurant, club and bar, where you can enjoy a few drinks and music right after dinner. The markets mentioned are also ideal for feasting.