According to Health-Beauty-Guides, Kalyazin is located on the banks of the Volga River in the Tver region.
It is believed that the city was founded in 1134 by Prince Yuri Dolgoruky. At different times, it was part of the Rostov-Suzdal land and the Tver principality. The Trinity Kalyazinsky (Makariev) Monastery, which was erected on the other side of the Volga in the 15th century, brought fame to the settlement. At the same time, Kalyazin with its environs became part of the Moscow principality. By the 17th century, the city and the Makariev Monastery merged into one settlement, which also included the nearby Tver Nikolsky Monastery. In 1775, by decree of Catherine II, the settlement was given the status of a county town. The Volga position of the city made it a major trading center through which goods were transported from Moscow to St. Petersburg and back. Fairs were held here twice a year. In Kalyazin, such crafts as blacksmithing, shoemaking, tailoring, felting and lace were widely used. In the first half of the 20th century, whole fishing artels arose, which later became large factories. In 1939-40, the construction of the Uglich hydroelectric power station began here, which led to the flooding of most of the old city. Despite this, today several historical monuments and historical sites have been preserved in Kalyazin, which made it possible to include the city in the Golden Ring.
Unfortunately, the Trinity Kalyazinsky Monastery, to which Kalyazin owes its fame, was lost during the construction of the Uglich hydroelectric power station. Today, only a small island remains, where the monastery once was located. The monastery is reminiscent of a shaft running in the middle of the island. Locals and tourists love to relax on this island in the summer, it is all covered with vegetation, and a small beach stretches along its shores. Frescoes of the 17th century left from the Trinity Kalyazinsky Monastery, earlier tiles with relief ornaments, fragments of brickwork, pieces of white stone carving and inscriptions are now stored in the Museum of Architecture in Moscow and in the Kalyazin Museum of Local Lore. Trinity Kalyazinsky Monastery was built in the 15th century. He became the backbone of the autocracy in Russia, enjoyed the goodwill of the local and Moscow princes. The location on the northern approaches to the Moscow Principality made the monastery one of the main defensive border structures.
The city has preserved the “floating” bell tower of St. Nicholas Cathedral on a small island. The 74-meter bell tower was built in 1796-1800. Now its first tier is partially hidden under water. You can look at the bell tower from the city pier or during a boat tour. Nikolsky Cathedral, of which the bell tower was a part, was founded in the 17th century on the site of an ancient monastery built back in the 12th century by the Novgorodians. During the construction of the Uglich hydroelectric power station, the cathedral was dismantled.
Be sure to visit the Museum of Local Lore, the expositions of which reflect the history of this region. The museum was opened in 1920. Now there is a natural history exposition, an archaeological section, a section dedicated to the history of the emergence and development of the Trinity Kalyazinsky Monastery, interiors of the 18th century and a section dedicated to the period of the Great Patriotic War.
Also in Kalyazin you can see the current Holy Presentation Church (1882), the Church of the Epiphany (1781) and the Church of the Ascension (1787).
Kerch, Crimea (Russia)
Kerch is stretched between the Azov and Black seas. Tourists interested in archeology and military history come to this city.
Kerch was founded over 26 centuries ago. The ancient history of Kerch is stored on Mount Mithridates, which is constantly being excavated. The remains of the buildings of Panticapaeum, the capital of the Bosporus kingdom, were found here. Once upon a time, a six-columned temple of Apollo towered above the acropolis surrounded by a defensive wall. The white columns of the temple were visible far from the sea. The Great Mithridatic Staircase leads to the top of the hill, with more than four hundred steps, built in 1833-1840. designed by Digby, an Italian architect who worked in Russia.
For its long history, Kerch won more than once. During the Great Patriotic War, it was twice occupied by German troops and twice liberated. Today Kerch is the most powerful port in the Crimea, as well as a developing resort. On the coast of the strait and the Sea of Azov, sand and pebble beaches stretch for tens of kilometers. This area is an ideal place for those who like to swim: if in the Black Sea at the height of the season the water can turn out to be cold for various reasons, in the Kerch Strait, and even more so in the bays, it warms up perfectly. There are practically no beaches in the city itself, they are located half an hour from Kerch.
One of the main attractions of Kerch is the Church of John the Baptist, built in the X – XIII centuries. This is the only one of the Byzantine churches of the northern Black Sea region, miraculously surviving among all historical drinking.
Kerch museums are interesting. It is worth visiting the Historical and Archaeological Museum, the Art Gallery, the Ethnographic Museum, the Museum of Oceanography and Fisheries.